In This Article:
Refunding Payments in AdvicePay
Refunds can be made directly through AdvicePay for any payment that 1) has completed processing at the client's bank/credit card company, and 2) has been made within the last 90 days. When you issue a refund, the money will be deducted from the Transfer bank account you have on file!
To refund a client's payment:
1. Find the paid invoice by visiting Invoices > View Details or Subscriptions > View Subscription > Payments > View Details. Then click the Refund link next to the Paid status:
2. Enter the Refund Amount (minimum = $1), Custom Message to the client (optional), and Notes (optional -- this will display on the PDF invoice).
3. Click Refund Payment.
It will take approximately 5-10 days for the money to be reflected back on the client's statement. 💥
After a refund, both you and your client will see the invoice status marked as Refunded/Partial Refund. By hovering the cursor over any Partial Refund status, you can quickly see the amount refunded.
The invoice PDF will also update to show the date the refund was issued + the refund amount:
Tip: Refunds on an invoice -- whether for a partial or full amount -- can only take place once! When the refund action is unavailable because it is still processing, past the 90 day mark, has already been (partially/fully) refunded, or was manually marked as paid, you will not see the Refund link. 👍
Once refunds are processed, you'll see a record of it on your Transfers screen and in your transaction data export.
Marking Invoices as Refunded (when Refunded Outside AdvicePay)
If a payment on a one-time or subscription invoice is over 90 days old or was manually marked as paid and you have issued a refund on it outside of AdvicePay, you can maintain accurate records by marking it as refunded.
1. Find the paid invoice by visiting Invoices in the left sidebar or the client's profile page. For subscription invoices, you can also find them via Subscriptions > View Subscription > Payments.
2. Click the button for your desired invoice. If that invoice can be marked as refunded, the Mark As Refunded option will be available in the drop down:
3. Enter the Refund Amount, Refund Date, and Notes (optional -- this will display on the PDF invoice):
4. Click Mark Refunded