How to Edit a One-Time Invoice or Subscription
Need to change something about an invoice or subscription you issued? You can with the Edit option! This is especially handy if you would like to update the:
- Due Date
- Description of Services
- Accepted Payment Method: CC and/or ACH
- # of Billing Periods
Any unpaid one-time invoice or inactive subscription can be edited to change the above items.
Only the Amount is editable on active subscriptions -- jump here for more on increasing/decreasing a fee!
To remain a compliant payment platform, clients must approve an edit that increases the Amount on an active subscription. Fee reductions do not require the client's approval. If you need to make other changes to a subscription that is already authorized by a client, you will want to cancel it and issue a new one. 😀
Let's get editing!
1. Find the payment request under Invoices or Subscriptions in your sidebar.
From here click the drop down menu and select Edit Invoice or Edit Subscription:
Note: The Edit option will be unavailable on an inactive invoice/subscription if the client has already signed a contract that was attached to the payment request! If you need to make changes in this situation, you will want to delete/cancel the payment request. This will void the signed contract and allow you to set up a new invoice + attach a contract for new signature.
2. Make your changes! Everything is editable on an inactive invoice or subscription except the client's name and the invoice frequency. When you're ready, click Save & Continue.
3. Select Send Email to send over an email notice to your client, or Skip Email if you want to make the changes without notifying them. All changes you make to the invoice will automatically update on the client's account.
Note: If you issued a subscription + one-time payment together, you will have the option to make changes to one or both invoices together when you click Edit Subscription:
(Updating the accepted payment method will apply to both the one-time upfront invoice as well as the subscription invoice.)
Editing the Amount on an Active Subscription
1. Find the active subscription under Subscriptions. From here click the drop down menu and select Edit Subscription.
2. Enter in the new Payment Amount and click Next.
If the fee is larger than it was previously, you'll receive a message that client approval is needed before the change can take effect. Please note that the subscription will continue billing at its current amount until the client approves the increase!
3. Enter an optional message in the notification email to the client. Then click Save.
The client will always receive an email notifying them of the amount change, whether it is being increased or decreased. If it is being increased and approval is needed, the client's email will include a special link that directs them to approve or decline the fee increase.
By default your client will receive a reminder email in 7 days if they haven't approved/declined the increase. If desired, this can be turned off in Account Settings > Emails & Notifications.
Note: Fee Change Reminder emails are are sent at 5pm ET/3pm MT during Daylight Savings Time and at 4pm ET/2pm MT during Standard time.
4. Making changes to a client subscription could result in the need to send a new financial planning agreement. To stay compliant, you can send another one directly (not attached to the subscription) when prompted by clicking Send Contract. Otherwise, click Done!
When viewing the subscription details, you can see the pending fee increase notice at the top of the page.
You also have the ability to recall the fee change by clicking the Cancel amount increase link and confirming the cancelation!
Once the client approves the change, the Amount will update to the new fee and will automatically bill the client's existing payment method on the upcoming bill date. If the client declines the change, the subscription amount will remain as-is.
📍Check out your Audit Log for a record of fee change activity by advisors and clients!
Editing the Description of Services on Individual Subscription Invoices
If you head over to Subscriptions > View Subscription > Payments > Edit Payment Description, you can edit the description of services after your clients have paid! Here's what that looks like from start to finish:
Doing this will only change the payment description for that individual invoice (not future invoices that bill).