Get Started with eSignatures
In This Article:
AdvicePay now offers eSignature functionality through a partnership with HelloSign to allow you to get financial planning agreements and other documents signed as part of your payment requests or independently. Easily upload your templates and become more efficient instantly!
How to Enable
eSignature is FREE for unlimited signatures and templates. The entire cost for eSignatures is rolled into your monthly subscription fee!
To enable: Go to Firm Settings > Billing and click Enable eSignature. Confirm that you want to turn on eSignatures on your account.
How to Prepare Documents for Signing
1. Under Documents or Templates, click the Add New Template button. If this is your first template, a brief tutorial will appear to guide you on the key steps of the process.
2. Fill in the Template Name, Description, and (optional) + Add New Role to add additional signees if it's possible that more than one person will need to sign the document. This is great for adding your client's partner and/or yourself as a signee on the document! When sending out the document, extra roles can be removed whenever needed.
Best Practice Tip! Roles cannot be added or removed from a template itself, but roles can be removed on a per-document basis when sending! For this reason we highly recommend setting up your template so that it contains all the possible roles that might need to enter something onto the document during the signing process: Client, Spouse/Partner, Advisor, Compliance, Administrative, etc.
When sending out a document based on the template you can then easily exclude any role that you don't need!
To set a default signing order for all documents created from this template, toggle the Enable signing order button to on and drag the fields up or down to rearrange the order in which signatures are obtained.
If desired, this signing order can later be adjusted on a per-document level when sending as long as the Allow edits to signing order before sending document toggle is also set to on. If you want to close the template to any adjustments and require the template-level signing order to be used, you will toggle that button off.
3. Drag and drop your document file into the Files box, or click within the box to browse + select a file from your computer folders.
To add multiple documents for merging into one template, click + Add Another File. This is useful for sending a complete packet of documents to new clients.
Accepted File Types: PDF, DOCX | Size limit: 10 MB
4. Designate whether this template is only for use by you, or whether it can be used by all advisors on your account who have billing permissions! Under Permissions select Only You or Firm Wide:
If you select Firm Wide, all firm advisors with billing permissions will automatically see the template as an option when sending documents/payment requests to clients.
Tip: Only you, other Full-Access Advisors on the account, and firm Admins can edit or delete a template that is open to Firm Wide use. Standard advisors will not be able to make adjustments to it, even if they have permissions to use it for their clients!
5. Click Add Template
6. After you're taken into the template editing screen, click and drop or drag and place your desired fields into the document:
6. Click Continue. Your final template will now appear under Templates.
Template Setup Tips
If your template has more than one signee role (established in the first step of setup!), drag and place another Signature field into the document. Assign the field to a different signee by using the field's drop down selector as shown below.
Note that all fields -- initials, checkbox, sign date, etc. -- can be assigned to specific signees!
Templates cannot be edited/duplicated to add more signee roles. To add or change signees roles, you will want to upload a new template from scratch.
Auto Filled Fields
To set up fields that automatically populate when the document is sent out for signature:
- Select the Textbox field, then drag and place it into your document template.
- In the field's drop down menu under Assigned To, select: Sender
- In the field's drop down menu under What text goes here?, select either:
- Client Name -- and any other Signee Role names (when sent, this will auto-populate the printed name of the signee for that role)
- Advisor Name (when sent, this will auto-populate the printed name of the client's advisor)
- Invoice Amount (when sent with a payment request, this will auto-populate the invoice amount)
- Invoice Frequency (when sent with a payment request, this will auto-populate the invoice frequency)
- Up Front Invoice Amount (when sent with a payment request, this will auto-populate the upfront invoice amount for one-time invoices attached to subscriptions)
- Advisor Signature (this is another way to add your printed name to the document)
Making Edits to Field Size & Placement
To adjust the field size to better fit your document or to allow clients to enter lengthier inputs (e.g. email addresses), grab the corner of the field with your cursor and enlarge/reduce it. Making the box larger in height will increase the text size!
Click and drag the entire field to move it around the page:
To remove a field you've added, hover over it and click the ⓧ icon.
How to Send Documents Out for Signature
Sending a document for signature can be done by sending it directly via email, or by attaching it to a payment request.
To send the document with a payment request:
1. Add any document template while setting up an invoice request, or from your Documents page, click Send Document > Send with payment request.
2. Fill out the invoice information as normal. Under Document Template, click the drop down menu and select your desired document.
2a. If your template requires additional signees, manually enter their name + email address or select their name from the drop down menu (available for any account user for your firm, including additional login users that clients have added to their own accounts).
2b. To remove a role that isn't necessary at this time, click the X button next to their listing.
2c. To require signees to sign in a particular order, toggle Enable signing order to on.
Click and drag the entries to move them to first/middle/last in line:
Each signee will then be prompted via email when it is their turn to sign the document! To receive a notification email each time a signee completes their signature, as well as a notice when all signatures have been obtained, go to Account Settings > Emails & Notifications > Advisor Notifications and toggle Document Signed to on.
4. Send the invoice. Your client (and any additional signees) will receive emails guiding them to sign the document first. Once the document is signed by all signees, the client will be notified to make their payment!
Tip: When a document is attached to a payment request, the invoice cannot be paid until the document is successfully signed by all signees. If you did not elect to send the invoice email to the client, additional signees will not be notified that there is a document to sign. To notify everyone about the document, you will want to go to Documents and select Send Reminder for the document that needs signatures.
To send the document without a payment request:
1. From your Documents page, click Send Document > Send without payment request.
2. Select the Document name, enable a forced signing order if desired, fill out the details for signees, and (optional) add a custom message in the email to the signees. Note that you can also remove any unnecessary roles at this time by clicking the X button!
We will automatically pull in the name + email information for yourself and any firm users on your AdvicePay account so that you can add them as a signee. This includes additional login users that clients have added to their own accounts! Signatures will take place within your individual accounts by visiting the Signatures page (only visible when you have documents to sign).
If a signee does not have an AdvicePay account, select Manually Enter Details from the drop down, enter their full name, and enter their email address so that they can receive an email with a link to sign the document independently. Documents can be sent to anyone outside of AdvicePay.
If signing order is enabled, each signee will then be prompted via email when it is their turn to sign the document! To receive a notification email each time a signee completes their signature, as well as a notice when all signatures have been obtained, go to Account Settings > Emails & Notifications > Advisor Notifications and toggle Document Signed to on.
3. Click Send Document. Signees will receive emails guiding them to sign the document.
❗️Does your client or their partner/spouse need help signing? Here's an article you can send to them that will help them through it!
How to Cancel a Document
Any document can be canceled before all of the signatures have been obtained. To cancel a document so that signees no longer have the ability to sign, click the drop down menu next to the relevant document and select Cancel Document:
Canceling a document will update it to Voided on your end, and remove it from other signees' accounts entirely. Once a document has been canceled, it cannot be downloaded.
If you delete/cancel an invoice that has a document attached to it, that document will be voided as well!
Editing and Deleting Templates
Any template can be edited by visiting Templates in your sidebar.
Click a template's drop down menu and select Edit Properties to edit the template Name, Description, Permissions, or replace an underlying document. Templates cannot be edited to add or remove Roles.
Click a template's drop down menu and select Edit Fields to edit the items you placed on the template itself (signature areas, custom or auto-filled text boxes, etc.) Field edits can take place when an associated document is out for signature, as it will not change any existing documents -- only those that you create after the edits!
Click a template's drop down menu and select Duplicate to duplicate a template. This will carry over the existing underlying documents you've uploaded, along with all of the fields!
To delete a template, click a template's drop down menu and select Delete. Open documents associated with the template will remain as-is and can still be signed!
👉 Swap/Replace Underlying Documents
Document files you've uploaded for your template can be easily swapped out and replaced with a new document file as long as the number of pages are equal to or greater than the number of pages in the current document. The page orientation must match the orientation of the original document as well.
1. To begin, click a template's drop down menu and select Edit Properties.
2. Under Files, click the Replace Files link next to the documents you wish to replace:
3. Drag and drop your new document file into the Files box, or click within the box to browse + select a file from your computer folders.
If you'd like to add more documents to the template at this time, you can also do this by clicking + Add Another File!
Tip: If there are multiple document files included in your template, you will need to re-upload all of the documents in the same order they were entered originally -- even if only one document needs to be replaced.
4. Once you're done, click Save.
Your existing fields will remain as-is on the new document you've uploaded. By clicking Edit Fields you can review and make any adjustments necessary!
How to Disable eSignature
Visit Firm Settings > Billing and toggle Enable eSignature to off. Then confirm that you want to disable!
This will remove the ability to attach documents with payment requests. If you had open documents out for signature, signing will no longer be required before a client makes a payment.
If you have signed or voided documents, they will still be viewable!