Get Started with eSignatures
In This Article:
AdvicePay now offers eSignature functionality through a partnership with HelloSign to allow you to get financial planning agreements signed as part of your payment requests or independently. Easily upload your templates and become more efficient instantly!
How to Enable
eSignature is FREE for unlimited signatures and templates. The entire cost for eSignatures is rolled into your monthly subscription fee!
To enable: Go to Firm Settings > Billing and click Enable eSignature. Confirm that you want to turn on eSignatures on your account.
How to Prepare Documents for Signing
1. Under Contracts or Templates, click the Add New Template button. If this is your first template, a brief tutorial will appear to guide you on the key steps of the process.
2. Fill in the Template Name, Description, and (optional) + Add New Role to add additional signees if more than one person needs to sign the document. This is great for adding your client's partner and/or yourself as a signee on the document!
3. Drag and drop your document file into the Files box, or click within the box to browse + select a file from your computer folders.
To add multiple documents for merging into one template, click + Add Another File. This is useful for sending a complete packet of documents to new clients along with their contract.
Accepted File Types: PDF, DOCX | Size limit: 10 MB
4. Designate whether this template is only for use by you, or whether it can be used by all advisors on your account who have billing permissions! Under Permissions select Only You or Firm Wide:
If you select Firm Wide, all firm advisors with billing permissions will automatically see the template as an option when sending contracts/payment requests to clients.
Tip: Only you, other Managing Advisors on the account, and firm Admins can edit or delete a template that is open to Firm Wide use. Standard advisors will not be able to make adjustments to it, even if they have permissions to use it for their clients!
5. Click Add Template
6. After you're taken into the template editing screen, click and drop or drag and place your desired fields into the document:
6. Click Continue. Your final template will now appear under Templates.
Template Setup Tips
If your template has more than one signee role (established in the first step of setup!), drag and place another Signature field into the document. Assign the field to a different signee by using the field's drop down selector as shown below.
Note that all fields -- initials, checkbox, sign date, etc. -- can be assigned to specific signees!
Templates cannot be edited to add more signee roles. To add more signees, select Duplicate or upload a new template from scratch.
Auto Filled Fields
To set up fields that automatically populate when the document is sent out for signature:
- Select the Textbox field, then drag and place it into your document template.
- In the field's drop down menu under Who fills this out?, select: AdvicePay (when sending)
- In the field's drop down menu under What text goes here?, select either:
- Client Name -- and any other Signee Role names (when sent, this will auto-populate the printed name of the signee for that role)
- Invoice Amount (when sent with a payment request, this will auto-populate the invoice amount)
- Invoice Frequency (when sent with a payment request, this will auto-populate the invoice frequency)
- Up Front Invoice Amount (when sent with a payment request, this will auto-populate the upfront invoice amount for invoices attached to subscriptions)
- Advisor Signature (this is another way to add your printed name/signature to the document if you don't add yourself as a signee on the template!)
Making Edits to Field Size & Placement
To adjust the field size to better fit your document or to allow clients to enter lengthier inputs (e.g. email addresses), grab the corner of the field with your cursor and enlarge/reduce it. Making the box larger in height will increase the text size!
Click and drag the entire field to move it around the page:
To remove a field you've added, hover over it and click the ⓧ icon.
How to Send Documents Out for Signature
Sending a document for signature can be done by sending it directly via email, or by attaching it to a payment request.
To send the document with a payment request:
1. Add any contract template while setting up an invoice request, or from your Contracts page, click Send Contract > Send with payment request.
2. Fill out the invoice information as normal. Under Contract Template, click the drop down menu and select your desired document:
2a. If your template requires additional signees, manually enter their name + email address or select their name from the drop down menu (available for any account user for your firm, including additional login users that clients have added to their own accounts).
2b. To require signees to sign in a particular order, toggle Enable signing order to on.
Click and drag the entries to move them to first/middle/last in line:
Each signee will then be prompted via email when it is their turn to sign the document! To receive a notification email each time a signee completes their signature, as well as a notice when all signatures have been obtained, go to Account Settings > Emails & Notifications > Advisor Notifications and toggle Contract Signed to on.
4. Send the invoice. Your client (and any additional signees) will receive emails guiding them to sign the document first. Once the document is signed by all signees, the client will be notified to make their payment!
Tip: When a document is attached to a payment request, the invoice cannot be paid until the document is successfully signed by all signees. If you did not elect to send the invoice email to the client, additional signees will not be notified that there is a contract to sign. To notify everyone about the contract, you will want to go to Contracts and select Send Reminder for the contract that needs signatures.
To send the document without a payment request:
1. From your Contracts page, click Send Contract > Send without payment request.
2. Select the Client, Contract name, enable a forced signing order if desired, fill out the details for any additional signees, and (optional) add a custom message in the email to the signees.
We will automatically pull in the name + email information for yourself and any firm users on your AdvicePay account so that you can add them as a signee. This includes additional login users that clients have added to their own accounts! Signatures will take place within your individual accounts by visiting the Signatures page (only visible when you have contracts to sign).
If a signee does not have an AdvicePay account, select Manually Enter Details from the drop down, enter their full name, and enter their email address so that they can receive an email with a link to sign the contract independently.
If signing order is enabled, each signee will then be prompted via email when it is their turn to sign the document! To receive a notification email each time a signee completes their signature, as well as a notice when all signatures have been obtained, go to Account Settings > Emails & Notifications > Advisor Notifications and toggle Contract Signed to on.
3. Click Send Contract. Your client (and any additional signees) will receive emails guiding them to sign the document.
❗️Does your client or their partner/spouse need help signing? Here's an article you can send to them that will help them through it!
How to Cancel a Contract
Any contract can be canceled before all of the signatures have been obtained. To cancel a contract so that signees no longer have the ability to sign, click the drop down menu next to the relevant contract and select Cancel Contract:
Canceling a contract will update it to Voided on your end, and remove it from other signees' accounts entirely. Once a contract has been canceled, it cannot be downloaded.
If you delete/cancel an invoice that has a contract attached to it, that contract will be voided as well!
Editing and Deleting Templates
Any template can be edited by visiting Templates in your sidebar.
Click a template's drop down menu and select Edit Properties to edit the template Name, Description, or Permissions.
Click a template's drop down menu and select Edit Fields to edit the items you placed on the template itself (signature areas, custom or auto-filled text boxes, etc.) Field edits can take place when an associated contract is out for signature, as it will not change any existing contracts -- only those that you create after the edits!
To delete a template, click a template's drop down menu and select Delete. Open contracts associated with the template will remain as-is and can still be signed!
How to Disable eSignature
Visit Firm Settings > Billing and toggle Enable eSignature to off. Then confirm that you want to disable!
This will remove the ability to attach contracts with payment requests. If you had open contracts out for signature, signing will no longer be required before a client makes a payment.
If you have signed or voided contracts, they will still be viewable!