Get Started with eSignatures: Enabling/Disabling and Creating Templates
In This Article:
AdvicePay now offers eSignature functionality through a partnership with HelloSign to allow you to get financial planning agreements and other documents signed as part of your payment requests or independently. Easily upload your templates and become more efficient instantly!
How to Enable
eSignature is FREE for unlimited signatures and templates. The entire cost for eSignatures is rolled into your monthly subscription fee!
To enable: Go to Firm Settings > eSignature and click Enable eSignature. Confirm that you want to turn on eSignatures on your account.
Enable Signer PINs
To enable a signer PIN to make the signing process more secure:
1. Under Firm Settings > eSignature toggle Enable signer PIN to on
2. Click Save
When turned on, signees will receive a separate email with a PIN included that will allow them to proceed with signing a document. This PIN email will only be sent after the signee clicks on the initial link to sign.
To maintain security, BCC recipients established on your account will not be BCC'd on the PIN email. Instead, you can verify it was sent successfully by visiting the Email Log and looking for the subject line Your signature request PIN from [Your Firm Name]. (PINs will be hidden!)
Enabling a signer PIN will only apply to future documents sent. 😀 Any existing documents already sent out for signature at the time of modifying this setting will not require signers to enter a PIN.
How to Prepare Documents for Signing
1. Under Documents or Templates, click the Add New Template button. If this is your first template, a brief tutorial will appear to guide you on the key steps of the process.
2. Fill in the Template Name, Description, and (optional) + Add New Role to add additional signees if it's possible that more than one person will need to sign the document. This is great for adding your client's partner and/or yourself as a signee on the document! When sending out the document, extra roles can be removed whenever needed.
Best Practice Tip! Roles cannot be added or removed from a template itself, but roles can be removed on a per-document basis when sending! For this reason we highly recommend setting up your template so that it contains all the possible roles that might need to enter something onto the document during the signing process: Client, Spouse/Partner, Advisor, Compliance, Administrative, etc.
When sending out a document, based on the template, you can then easily exclude any role that you don't need!
To set a default signing order for all documents created from this template, toggle the Enable signing order button to on and drag the fields up or down to rearrange the order in which signatures are obtained.
If desired, this signing order can later be adjusted on a per-document level when sending as long as the Allow edits to signing order before sending document toggle is also set to on. If you want to close the template to any adjustments and require the template-level signing order to be used, you will toggle that button off.
3. Drag and drop your document file into the Files box, or click within the box to browse + select a file from your computer folders.
To add multiple documents for merging into one template, click + Add Another File. This is useful for sending a complete packet of documents to new clients.
Accepted File Types: PDF, DOCX | Size limit: 10 MB
4. Designate whether this template is only for use by you, or whether it can be used by all advisors on your account who have billing permissions! Under Permissions select Only You or Firm Wide:
If you select Firm Wide, all firm advisors with billing permissions will automatically see the template as an option when sending documents/payment requests to clients.
Tip: Only you, other Full-Access Advisors on the account, and firm Admins can edit or delete a template that is open to Firm Wide use. Standard advisors will not be able to make adjustments to it, even if they have permissions to use it for their clients!
5. Click Add Template
6. After you're taken into the template editing screen, click and drop or drag and place your desired fields into the document:
6. Click Continue. Your final template will now appear under Templates.
Template Setup Tips
If your template has more than one signee role (established in the first step of setup!), drag and place another Signature field into the document. Assign the field to a different signee by using the field's drop down selector as shown below.
Note that all fields -- initials, checkbox, sign date, etc. -- can be assigned to specific signees!
Templates cannot be edited/duplicated to add more signee roles. To add or change signees roles, you will want to upload a new template from scratch.
Auto Filled Fields
To set up fields that automatically populate when the document is sent out for signature:
- Select the Textbox field, then drag and place it into your document template.
- In the field's drop down menu under Assigned To, select: Sender
- In the field's drop down menu under What text goes here?, select either:
- Client Name -- and any other Signee Role names (when sent, this will auto-populate the printed name of the signee for that role)
- Advisor Name (when sent, this will auto-populate the printed name of the client's advisor)
- Invoice Amount (when sent with a payment request, this will auto-populate the invoice amount)
- Invoice Frequency (when sent with a payment request, this will auto-populate the invoice frequency)
- Up Front Invoice Amount (when sent with a payment request, this will auto-populate the upfront invoice amount for one-time invoices attached to subscriptions)
- Advisor Signature (this is another way to add your printed name to the document)
Making Edits to Field Size & Placement
To adjust the field size to better fit your document or to allow clients to enter lengthier inputs (e.g. email addresses), grab the corner of the field with your cursor and enlarge/reduce it. Making the box larger in height will increase the text size!
Click and drag the entire field to move it around the page:
To remove a field you've added, hover over it and click the ⓧ icon.
How to Disable eSignature
Visit Firm Settings > Billing and toggle Enable eSignature to off. Then confirm that you want to disable!
This will remove the ability to attach documents with payment requests. If you had open documents out for signature, signing will no longer be required before a client makes a payment.
If you have signed or voided documents, they will still be viewable!
Ready to do more with eSignature?
Check out the articles below!
- How to Edit or Delete Templates (plus Swap/Replace Underlying Documents)
- How to Pre-Fill Custom Information on an eSignature Template or Document
- How to Send Documents Out for Signature
- How to Cancel or Void an eSignature Document
- How Emails Work with eSign Documents: Invoices and Signing Order
- How to Sign Documents